Tires on your tow rig.

bbaxter51
Administrator
For as many guys we have and the amount of tow rigs, let's talk about tires.  The tires on Tyrone are getting down there and will be replaced in the spring.  Some guys want to put big rig tires on their tow pigs, others want only stock.  I'm an in between guy.  So I'm looking at a set of 285/75/17's and there looking to cost around $200/tire and when I'm buying 6 of them, well, I need some value.

In no particular order, here are my priorities.

1. Nice ride
2. Even wear
3. 40k mile+
4. Look nice

What have you run?  Did you like them and why?  Would you buy them again?

I know Kurt is a big fan of the BFG AT's...

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

dirty1
I just put a set of hankook dynapro atm rf10 tires on my diesel and I love them. I put on 285/76/16 load range e and the were 183ea at discount.

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

bbaxter51
Administrator
Do you have a pic of what those size tires look like on the duals from the back and side?

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

dirty1
Sorry I never posted that I finally sold my dodge dually I now have a 2006 3500hd duramax single rear wheel

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

lil flex-J
brent i hope thats sarcasm on the bfg all terrains? i hate them things. i'm waiting for beer to put some miles on his tires so he can give me some feed back. he's got the goodyear dura tracs. they kinda seem a little soft but i want something with a little aggressivness to get me in and out of some of the places we go. just put 22.5's on that pig and be done with it. but otherwise i have allways liked the at revo's great in sand snow rain and they wear nice to.
when in doubt throttle out, or load that shit up.

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

Kickin-RASS
Am am going to take your suggestion Brent B and buy these tires from treadwright for my tow rig. Also the guard dogs would be a sweet tire on a street/trail jeep and they are cheap too.
http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/53/sename/28575r16-warden-at-d.aspx
AIN'T NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

bbaxter51
Administrator
sonofa..  I forgot about those tires!  They're even load range E.  These will be my new skids as well.

The Warden!

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

lil flex-J
Let me know how they work. I have never! Had any luck with that tread pattern wearing right. Hope the caps stay on better than the ones I got on the big rig. If one let's go kiss your dually fender good bye
when in doubt throttle out, or load that shit up.

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

bbaxter51
Administrator
My other options are:

Guard Dog

or

Sentinel

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

Kickin-RASS
Looks like treadwright is all sold out on 285/75/16's for every style. that sucks thats the size I want. Maybe I will do some research and try to find them some were other than their website.
AIN'T NO REST FOR THE WICKED

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

beerman
the goodyear duratracs i like so far olny have 2000 miles on them so far. ive never like those revos that kurt was talking about. they never wore right for me and they never worked good in the winter either.
Beer

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

lil flex-J
i never hadany problem withthe revos minus the price compared to how fast they wore out buttheyalway wore even and did good in the winter. but i dont think they would work all that good getting in and out of places like avf and riverfalls. i really like your tires but they seem really soft which could lead to a wear problem with a diesel.
when in doubt throttle out, or load that shit up.

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

beerman
Yeah there is a big difference in weight and loads. They grip really good in the snow and ice so I really like them. Too bad their coming off for the winter and I'm putting my bald old tires n rims on witch makes no sense at all bit I don't wanna my new rims
Beer

Re: Tires on your tow rig.

lil flex-J
well as most of you know i bought this 40' enclosed in jan,

i then traded it for this 05 cmaper and 34' trailer and this modded 99 tj

then i sold the camper for cash to finish the heep. and sold the trailer to papa baxter. took that money and bought a 07 42' low boy gooseneck, ill get pics of that tonight.
when in doubt throttle out, or load that shit up.