My personal towing debate

123

My personal towing debate

HULK
Since I am now best friends with all of you, I would love some input on my current tow rig debate. I bought a trailer rated for 15k so I need a bit bigger rig to tow with, as my Tahoe is just a bit undersized. I WILL NOT buy a diesel because I only work 3 miles from my house, so I would have to drive around in circles just to warm it up correctly.
So far I have been thinking about 2 options, and recently added a third.
V10 Excurion
6.0 2500 Suburban (3/4 ton)
Newest addition: Toyota sequioa, since it has the same towing capacity as the 3/4 ton chev.

So, what would you choose, and why? I have read mixed reviews on the Excursions, and they dont even make them anymore. The Chev has been around forever, but the 3/4 ton versions are harder to find reasonably priced. I honestly dont know much about the Toyota.

I will only tow my rig around 6-8 times a year, so towing is NOT its primary function. It drives me to work, and hauls my family on road trips.
I are jeeper

Re: My personal towing debate

350willys
Well josh being a chevy guy would go with the suburban plenty of room for kids and the luggage 3/4 ton versions were sweet  like ya say if don't find one to over priced keep my eyes open for ya both ways see what find and sorry don't know enough about the toyotas tell ya enough about them one thing is there only half tons to once fully load them truck trailer camping stuff would squat pretty bad i would think but will look for ya see what find.

Re: My personal towing debate

HULK
Thanks for the input- link doesnt work for me...
I are jeeper

Re: My personal towing debate

350willys
sorry forgot how to link it been awile its on craigs list first second page 2003 3/4 ton suburban 62,000 miles on it really clean.

Re: My personal towing debate

stanton77
My thoughts Josh depending on your price range I think you'll get the biggest bang for your buck going with the Excursion. It's rated towing capacity with the V10 is 11,000 lb. Which is definitely enough. The Suburbans are a little $$$. One nice thing with the Excursion is the solid front axle for the strength. Not as smooth of a ride as the burb but will last longer than the IFS. Oh and another thing Josh the burb is only a 1500HD. It's the same chassis as my 2500 Avalanche. The Excursion chassis is based off the F250 Super Duty chassis.

Re: My personal towing debate

bbaxter51
Administrator
My dad has a 2002 2500 Suburban with the 8.1 and 60k on it.  Loaded, leather, etc.  It's a Nevada truck and never seen snow.  He just bought a dually out in LA a couple weeks ago, so he might sell it, I have no idea.  Pulls like a dream and rides beautiful.

Re: My personal towing debate

beerman
Well my dad had a 2000 Ford f-350 with a v10 in it and that thing pulled awsome. The olny thing is it didn't matter if it wad empty or loaded down with rig and camper it got the same gas mileage. I think he go around 12-14mpg but I'm not completely positive. He bough that one new and got rid of it with 99000 on it and the olny major thing he had to do is ball joints twice! I'm also gonna have to agree with mike on the ifs there a nice ride but for hauling a long ways its hard on them and the upper ball joints on those are common for going out. I put two sets in my old truck. It was a half ton but it took the same ball joint and had the same upper control ARM. And you gotta remember the idlers ARM and pitman arms are always going bad in the chevs too.
Beer

Re: My personal towing debate

EXPLORER4X4
This post was updated on .
gotta put in moog or spicer ball joints..  My boss has 150k now on his last set of spicer ball joints on 2002 superduty.. just had it on the hoist last weak and they are tight as can be..  he pulls a trailer at least twice a week.. Iv never had a moog set fail again as long as they are greased once in awhile..
they also cost twice as much as the cheapo but do last alot longer, not to many trucks on the road nowadays that ball joints last more then 50 - 70k however.... hub bearings now thats a different story LOL

excursions are a sweet ride v-10 isn to bad of a motor they have exhaust manifold problems... The only Gm I would by would Have A 8.1 and an allison trans.. lower miles though since the camshafts are very soft but tons of power..

Gm Ifs = lots of $ in maintence like Dave said.. not to mention the front diffs are weak too. stay away from half ton gm for pulling rear ends are very weak.. also the t-case is very common for wearing holes in them and burning up but can be prevented with an updated saver plate for the oil pump..

Dont see tomany problems with the newer f150s those things are built quite tough for a half ton drivetrain wise.. Iv always said though buy what you can handle riding in and what you like.. they all have problems!!!

THAT SHIT'LL BUFF OUT !!!!

Re: My personal towing debate

bbaxter51
Administrator
I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the Toytoa.  It says the towing cap is 7500lbs, so you'll be banging on the limits, but those dang toys run foreveah.

If you're anything like the rest of us that are chiming into this thread, you wont own it long enough to see any real wear items wear out.  I know Kurt hasn't, that's for dang sure.

Re: My personal towing debate

EXPLORER4X4
They just suck to work on and good luck findin aftermarket parts in a timely matter..

 The stealership does a great job on educating there customers on changing fluids and maintence so their usually a vehical that has had alot of maintence and thats why they have a good reputaion of being a good vehicle that last along time.. Just like hondas.. If we spent a 80 bucks every 3000 miles for the extra maintence like alot of toyota and honda people are just trained to do on our american made cars they would they would have alot less problems as well.. we dont see tomany come through the shop they still go to the stealership.. I would like to hook a trailer up to a newer yota and see how they perform they have come along way in the last few years
THAT SHIT'LL BUFF OUT !!!!

Agree with ya randy and olny yuppys buy Toyota.
Beer

Re: My personal towing debate

EXPLORER4X4
or mazdas lol
THAT SHIT'LL BUFF OUT !!!!

Re: My personal towing debate

lil flex-J
ok, where did you pansy's come from????????? toyota really. GAY! people who drive them pos's are a certain breed, 90% of the time i get mad while driving its because of a yota driver, second reason your GAY! yeah they build them in usa and give jobs to americans, but wheres the profit go? where you ask not to america. also the reason they last is because of how the people are who own them green thumb tree hugging yuppies who have no real hobbies and have the money to pay the stealership do do all the maintenance on their pos's. END RANT
when in doubt throttle out, or load that shit up.

so much for bein nice kurt huh
THAT SHIT'LL BUFF OUT !!!!

Re: My personal towing debate

bbaxter51
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Since Kurt is super excited about Toyota's I think now would be a good time to show everyone my new daily driver.  it's a 97 Lexus LX 450.  e-lockers front / rear, 35" tires.  This is the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser.  Leather, power everything.  I challenge you to find me ANYTHING American made from 97 that isn't a complete POS that has the appointments this thing does.  And has a solid front axle to boot!  BOOYAH!

nice he wanted opinion. so i gave mine. what he decides is entirely up to him. i'll still love josh regardless. if i hurt anyones feelings i'm sorry. on topic though josh i do like the idea of a newer crew cab f-150. they are very stout and would have plenty of room for the family. and along with the exhaust on the v-10's they have been known to blow out a spark plug, but not as common as the 5.4

ughh. lmao. you would brent. i think it needs some trail rash asap. maybe let dave drive it.
when in doubt throttle out, or load that shit up.

Re: My personal towing debate

fergdawg69
well i think they all have their positives and can all do the job just pick the one that feeds all of your required needs. brent i want your lexus but can it pull my jeep lol.
 try again tomorrow.

Re: My personal towing debate

bradzilla
I think you should buy an old school bus and take the ole sawz-all to the back of it. Reliable, cheap, fully customizable, your able to drive the kids and the rest of the neighborhood to school, its the best of all worlds!
Go Big or Go Home

Re: My personal towing debate

beerman
I can take it for a test drive for ya Brent.  If you think the throttle stuck on it when I drive it it's not a recall. It's the way I drive.
Beer
123