4 link

Thumper
I have been checking out your site and playing with your 4 link calculator, now this is what i have its a nissan truck frame and body shell, i am going to run dana 60 front 14 bolt rear, going to link the front and rear with coil springs. I am a mud guy and could just throw 4 link in it but i want it to work right so i am turning to the wisdom of you trail guys to help shorten up my learning curve. Now for the numbers.

Frame height 33"
Wheel Base 118" ish
Tire size 44"
The frame is 40"wide.
I don't know the center of gravity yet the truck is bare right now, i read some where that the top of the bellhousing will get you close that is 48". i don't know if that is right of not.
The truck weight will be around 3600-4000 pounds.

I will try to post what i have done with the calculator. I was thinking of stright 4 link in the front with a panhard in the front and rear to locate my axle better than trangulated. What are your thoughts on that?

I am a mud bogger so i don't need a lot of droop, i want it to corrner good under full throttle and not have a lot of body roll.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: 4 link

Thumper
4BarLinkV3.0.xlsx

ok that is what i am thinking or would i be better off triangulating it. will this work for front and rear?
also i want it to transfer weight to the back when i stand on it so do i want my anti squat lower? like 70%? thanks again.

Re: 4 link

bbaxter51
Administrator
Welcome.

Triangulate your 4 link bars both front and rear.  Leave the 4 link / panhard bar setup for the drag strip on the low cars.

If I were setting up your rig, I'd set the front up for around 100% anti squat or "anti dive" and keep the rear around 50%.  That will transfer some good traction to the rear but wont dive when hard on the brakes, it should stay pretty level.

Where you're going to want to pay close attention is to your Roll Axis.  Keep that as close to 0 degrees as possible for the front and the rear.  Even a few degrees negative if possible.  That will reign in your body roll and keep it feeling stable in a turn.

As for the measurement for the center of gravity.  You're right there.  I use the center of the cam at the back of the motor and have had really good results so far.

Good luck, man.  Keep us updated or keep the questions rolling!

Re: 4 link

lil flex-J
lol. you lucked out man. i told you to post up on here and if you got lucky brent would chime in. he is the man when it comes to getting really good results out of your link set up.
when in doubt throttle out, or load that shit up.

Re: 4 link

Thumper
what effects my roll axis? is there anyone thing or is it a little of every thing?

Re: 4 link

bbaxter51
Administrator
It all effects it, but your upper link bars effect the numbers the most.  Move them up and down on the frame side and that will move your Anti Squat the most, but move them wider apart or closer together on both the frame and axle end.  If i remember correctly, that will move the Roll Axis the most.

Play around with it like that, then email me your excel file and I can take a look.  I can also move stuff around a bit and we can figure a common ground where the numbers work and the link mounts will realistically fit.  brentbaxter@rockbottom4x4.com

Re: 4 link

Thumper
thabks i was playing with it a bit and got the roll axis to 4 and anti squat to 55% but i had to trianglate the top and bottom bars.

Re: 4 link

bbaxter51
Administrator
Here you go.  I emailed you the file back.  Basically I moved the lower links in to triangulate them more and moved the upper links on the frame side up a 1/2 inch.

If anyone gives you shit about going through all this, just move that upper link mount on the frame side up an inch or two and see what it does to your anti squat numbers.  A half inch moved yours almost 10%!